POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.tools.poser : Which version of Poser? : Re: Which version of Poser? Server Time
1 May 2024 14:54:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Which version of Poser?
From: Dan P
Date: 2 Apr 2004 23:12:41
Message: <406e39b9$1@news.povray.org>
John D. Gwinner wrote:
>>The challenge is
>>to create a converter that exports from Wavefront, renders the hairs in
>>memory, and saves it in the POV-Ray format. I'm working on that myself
>>(hence all the details), but I side-tracked myself. This message might
>>get me back on track this weekend :-)
>

> Wow, nice.  Let me know if you need a Beta, but I haven't done any dynamic
> hair yet.

Will do! Now I'm gettin' excited again :-)

> I was hoping to use Dynamic hair for a space suited figure I'm working on
> for the IRTC animation round, but I'm thinking I won't make it :(

When is it due? I have much already completed (just not the actual
output to POV-Ray nor some of the more fancy features... I already have
the entire Wavefront object loaded into memory (well, actually, except
for lines)). The program is a Windows32 MFC C/C++ application; if you
don't have Windows, the work I've done so far won't work. However, I do
plan to alter the reading engine so that it is in Standard C++ so that I
can easily port it to Linux.

> The issue I've found with long hair is that it's hard to fit inside a space
> helmet.  I had this feeling dynamic hair would let me cram it in somehow and
> still 'move' but I have to admit I haven't tried it.
>
>         == John ==

PoseRay creates something called a "poseraylinegroup" -- those thin
cylinders I talked about. It might be possible to write a quick PERL
script to do the job on a POV-Ray file already created. Uber-scripters
like Warp could probably do that in POV-Ray itself :-)
--
Respectfully,
Dan P